Tapestry Training -- From The Source

Let me help you get your team up to speed in Tapestry ... fast. Visit howardlewisship.com for details on training, mentoring and support!

Friday, February 27, 2004

Cutting down those dependencies

I've been somewhat troubled by the number of real, actual, runtime dependencies in HiveMind. I just put some work in, and managed to remove the dependency on commons-beanutils (and, by extension, commons-collections). I also removed code that invoke commons-lang's StringUtils.isBlank() so that HiveMind should be compatible with commons-lang 1.0. Those wacky commons-lang guys changes the meaning of method StringUtils.isEmpty() and introduced a new method, isBlank(), with the old behavior ... a lot of fuss for such a minor method, so I just re-implemented it as a method on the HiveMind class.

Anyway, my concern is, of course, DLL hell (and it's Java JAR equivalent), where widget A and widget B disagree about which version of widget C they each use. When you're in the business of hooking widgets together, this stuff is pretty critical. Less is more!

No comments: